View Single Post
      02-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Jaffster Delrin Shift Knob Review

After having driven my friend’s s2k, I was envious of Honda’s effortless short shifts. Right around then mfanatic organized a group buy on the Autosolutions ssk and I thought why not given it’s consistently good reviews. Needless to say, the shifts were precise and short but it took more of a conscious effort to go through the gates. Add to that I had a ZHP knob to finish it off so it was super notchy. I hoped that over time the ssk would break in and the shifts would become smoother but unfortunately that was not the case. At one point I did switch to the taller regular M knob and while that helped a bit, it quickly developed a buzzing noise (apparently this is not unusual).

Rather than buy another oem knob, I decided to try out the Jaffster. While it’s not nearly as good looking as the M, ZHP or Performance knobs from BMW, the only way to describe is WOW. It is truly awesome. For the first time, I’m able to retain the short shifts of the ssk but each throw is TOTALLY effortless because of the extra leverage/torque from the increased height. Even the dreaded first and 2nd gear initial shifts are butter smooth. I’m actually upset for not having made the switch earlier. While I’ve only tested on the street, I’m sure another added benefit will be on the track where your hand is that much closer to the wheel. I know this knob isn't for everyone or even the majority... BUT if anyone here has a ssk (Autosolutions, UUC, or RE) but hates the notchiness or just see a lot of track time, definitely give the Jaffster a hard look.

Installation was very straightforward. Pull off the old knob, throw on the Jaffster. It fits over the rod perfectly although there’s no notch inside the knob to secure it down. Rather it comes with 3 inset screws you tighten down using a hex key. Pics below… I’d say the Jaffster is almost 2x as tall as the ZHP.

Bimmerworld product link

Crapphy phone pics before my morning commute:

Last edited by 3002 tii; 06-22-2012 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0