View Single Post
      01-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #44
etane
Rep
Drives: '03 Zed 3.0

Well, I've owned my Z4 for about a year and had the second grind issue since the day I got it. Sure, I can delay shifting into second after I press the clutch down, and this results in a grind-less shift, but what's the point of driving a Z4 if you can't shift sportily into 2nd gear?

So, I replaced the CDV with one purchased from Zeckhausen. The CDV, at least in my case, is a major culprit for the 2nd gear grind. After replacing the CDV, I still have to delay my shifting into second but much less so than before. I'd say the delay is from a whole second to about half a second.

Then, I replaced the OEM transmission fluid with Royal Purple Synchromax. The improvement here is dramatic. Not only can I shift into 2nd even faster now, but the whole transmission is so much smoother. I'd say the transmission/gear box is much more communicative. This results in much less over and under revving when changing gears.

So, just get the CDV removed or replaced and go with a different transmission fluid. I went with RP Synchromax. I've read good things about Redline and Amsoil too.
Appreciate 0