View Single Post
      01-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #38
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Interestingly enough, if the gear ratios are the reason as to why the gears are grinding, we would also hear about it more from the E46 M3 owners (of which there are 100X more) since the gear ratios are virtually identical between the two cars (including the final gear and the overall tire size). If I'm not mistaken and are inclined to go look it up, I believe the ratios were only different by a few hundredth of a point between the two cars. I've not seen this type of complaint from E46 M3 owners.
You are clearly very confused. I am not talking simply about the spacing but the spacing as it applies to the synchros, Just because a transmission shares the same spacing of gear ratios does not mean a thing.

The point is that things that increase the "work" of the synchros is wide spacing and high RPM changes (because gear changes being % based the higher the rpm the more inertia has to be combated for the same spacing)

This makes the 1st to 2nd shift at redline obviously the most strenuous.

The synchros on this transmission are obviously different then the e46, likely there is an additional cone on second gear (or two ) on the e46 M 6 speed, or they could be of different design.

Widespread grinding is a clear indication of inadequate synchros for the application (and/or driving style). I know no other automotive community that would dispute this point. It's pretty much a rock solid inference.