View Single Post
      01-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #37
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
While I agree with #2 (in fact on any other type of shift that's almost always the cause), but disregarding the wide ratio is incorrect, the collar is not completely blocked and if enough force is applied while not in sync the gear will grind.

More insight can be garnished from the fact that the grinding is actually very easily reproducible when shifting out of first in a high wheelspin situation of a burnout or drift where you're tires are moving quickly but the car is not. This effectively widens the gears even more by a pretty respectable amount.

It always amazes me how much the BMW community is numb to these sort of things which 90% of the the rest of the automotive community would quickly identify. I think it's the nature of the type which is an enthusiast who loves the car and driving, but doesn't work on their own car or get too much into the details.
Interestingly enough, if the gear ratios are the reason as to why the gears are grinding, we would also hear about it more from the E46 M3 owners (of which there are 100X more) since the gear ratios are virtually identical between the two cars (including the final gear and the overall tire size). If I'm not mistaken and are inclined to go look it up, I believe the ratios were only different by a few hundredth of a point between the two cars. I've not seen this type of complaint from E46 M3 owners.

Which then leads me to believe, that either MZ4 owners are just a whiny bunch (j/k), or my two hypothesis regarding the grind is correct. It's either an improperly designed synchro-mesh between 1st and 2nd, or operator error. Having had to work on cars A LOT and working in a small capacity with customer support in the automotive aftermarket industry, my suspicion is on operator error.

Either that or I don't drive my car "aggressively" enough.
Appreciate 0