Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composite Steve View Post

Hi Vinny,

Sounds like you've worked with composites before. Two of the moulds were made using polyester resin and 10+ layers of fiberglass cloth. It's very strong and fully cured so I hope it's not distorting. I'll check them against the original plug.

I've switched to epoxy resin since so there's no need for MKEP catalyst or any issues related to it.

I give it a few days for the parts to cure before removing it from the moulds. I'll see if it needs to set in the mould for longer.

Thanks for the tips

Steve
25+ years with composites and still refining the craft.

You mentioned cure time on the mold. Most of us give up to 2-3 weeks for post cure WITH the assistance of heat....whether the solar heat or heat-lamps or heat blankets.

Even Epoxy manufacturers will require it if you ask them. Its a necessary evil in the craft.

Almost every mold will move if its receiving its cure cycles by molding parts instead of a post heat cure with the plug still in place.

You might be able to save the mold by re-inserting your plug or parent part and then adding glassed in beam supports to the mold backside and then placing it all out in the sun for a week or so.

Let me know if you need more help on the subject.

Cheers,Vinny
Appreciate 0