View Single Post
      03-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Fix for creaking rool hoops

If you are someone who is bothered by small creaks and rattles, you've probably cursed at the roll hoop covers, drove down the road holding them together with your hand, considered ripping them off (only to give up when you saw that new covers are like $400), and generally hated the shitty plastic BMW used to make them.

I'm really obsessive about rattles, and the noises from the roll hoops have been killing me. I was close to removing them and going with bare metal roll hoops, and decided to try one last time to quiet them down. I'm excited to report that hockey tape will do the job. Yes, hockey tape.

Get some hockey tape (thick, like 1.5" width is better) and just wrap it around the roll hoops, pulling it as tight as you can. You want it to be wrapped with just a little bit of overlap, like the end of a hockey stick. For those who don't know, hockey tape is a very strong cloth tape with low stretch and a matt finish. You can buy it at Dick's Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, etc.

It actually doesn't look terrible if you take your time, but if you've got the leather windscreen you won't see it at all.
Appreciate 0