View Single Post
      01-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Input Request - Search for Power

Hi All...I know there have been other threads on this topic but I wanted to start an opinion and factual thread in one spot for my own benefit

Purpose: Motor work for a track orients street M54 powered BMW.

I'm slowly turning my non-M Z4 into a dual purpose track and street car. I've done suspension, brakes and now seats, to my liking. I'll be investing in track rubber shortly. Now my attention turns to engine work. Summary: I want more power. I have headers, intake and a tune. Roughly 280 at crank dyno'd. I'm planning on upgrading my water pump (metal impeller) and will also be looking to take car of the oil pump nut issue in one way or another (was thinking cotter pin).

I was considering a VF supercharger, but I've read and been told multiple ways that the heat generated will quickly ruin gains from forced induction on the M54 on a track day. I'm still leaning this way.

The other option is cams, which might be a little cheaper and easier on the wallet if not as much power. I'd like to get over the 300 crank mark in all honesty. I know an S54 motor needs to have the valves checked quite often. Would this be something of a concern with aftermarket cams?

Chime in your thoughts and experiences. I welcome all.

Appreciate 0