08-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
[Z4MC] valve stem adventure

So a couple of months ago I replaced my aging PS2's with Pilot Super Sports @ Discount Tire. Checked pressure the other day and decided I needed to top up a couple PSI. Hit the fronts, no problem. Then I try to get the gas station air nozzle onto a rear stem - it's too short! Can't even get the thing securely onto the valve to add air. WTH?

I went back to Discount Tire, they pulled up the Z4M in their computer, and about 7-8 different valve stems all come up as "correct" for the car. Dude was really perplexed, said he'd never seen that before. He went and grabbed all the ones he had in stock, all short like the ones I had gotten. One that was out of stock was a mystery. I Googled it and found a pic - voila, 5mm longer. Ordered those in and replaced them (no charge of course), and all is well. Moral of the story: make sure you don't get stuck with some shorty stems when getting new tires.

I also had the PSS's side-to-side rotated (they have about 5k miles on them). BIG difference. They were already starting to get noisy, this quieted them right down again. I wasn't aware till the other day that the PSS is asymmetrical, not directional. Hell, the PS2's are also asymmetrical, so I could have rotated those too. Oh well. Now I need to do the same to PSS's on my ZHP, they're really noisy at 10k miles.