Thread: The tire thread
View Single Post
      06-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
boondocksaint
Penfold, shush!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec: The track manners were quite good for a street tire. They were vocal when they were at the limit, which is good. Grip was excellent. On the street, the noise gets tiresome after about 5000 miles or a couple of track days.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS: Only had these on the street. Ye gods they were quiet and comfortable and chewed up miles with aplomb. I actually had them, in the dry, the wet, AND the snow. They performed admirably in all areas. Grip was surprisingly good, though I would not dare track them.

Bridgestone RE050 Pole Positions: Currently on the M. Noisy, not terribly good in the wet, and quite frankly not a good value for the money. The wear is good, though, and they unfortunately seem to be lasting for a while. I dislike them.

Bridgestone RE01-R (discontinued, reference replacement RE-11) : Best street performance tires I have ever owned. Put 6 track days in my Subaru on these plus about 12k street miles. Fantastic in the dry, good in the wet. If the RE-11s are 90% of what the RE01-Rs were, they're what I want. If the car didn't have relatively new tires on it when I bought it, I'd be in a set of these already.

Falken RT615s: Cheap and okay on the street. Got greasy really quick on track, but they were CHEAP. So you get what you pay for sometimes.

Michelin Pilot A/S Plus: Quiet, pretty grippy in most conditions for an all-season tire. Nearly indestructible. Comfortbale as well. Didn't get enough miles of driving on them to be of much knowledge (sold the car that they were on).
Appreciate 0