View Single Post
      07-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
mimarcos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, 2017 S3 APR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
I would bet that the person who installed the pads did not make sure all three tabs were aligned correctly before they pushed the pad into the caliper, then bent the now broken tab flat, saw what happened, then straightened the bent tab (thus weakening it) and it broke under load…

I would not bitch too much on Dealer labor prices… Have some HVAC work performed…. Labor costs there are over $300/hr… I know… I just had some of that work done and they were the cheapest guys around….

For some reason we do not complain all that loudly about those prices.....????
Forgot to mention - the bracket on the back, between the clip and pad, had shifted across the back of the pad. It's possible that in shifting it pulled and broke the tab while it shifted.

But really, it's very possible, maybe even likely they you're right, and I never argued that it absolutely was a defect. I never said that it was definitely one of the other. In fact, from what it looks like, I'd say it was an install issue. The fact that it only happened after a few hundred miles made me think defect.

Regarding "bitching" about labor prices... when one shop charges X and the other charged 4X, I think there's certainly a reason to joke about the cost of the 4X dealer, regardless of how much your HVAC labor costed (HVAC work around where I live is closer to $75-150/hour, I'm guessing due to regional differences).