View Single Post
      06-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #22
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

ESS

ESS tuning had the tough answers, and was able to back them up with hard data. After spending a great deal of time on the website, in the forums talking to other members, and working with Roman from ESS tuning, I was very confident in the new direction I was about to take my M.

Unlike my previous experience with the plenum project, ESS could answer all of my questions and concerns. ESS had the most firsthand knowledge out of anyone tuning the Z4 M’s, and had hard data to back it up. I also liked that responses to my questions were immediate. When I was working with others I would get, “um, we’ll have to get back to you on that.”

ESS tunings customer service was as strong as their product knowledge. Knowing that they back up their product 100% made the decision easy.

When I started the M coupe project, I had planned to stay N/A and get all the power I could out of the S54. I had never owned an F/I car and I had questions and concerns about usability and reliability. The following were some of the assumptions I had made about forced induction:

1. The engine would have to run hotter and this would lead to premature wear.
2. The gas mileage would be terrible.
3. It would be silly to super charge a car that would be used on the track because the extra power would make the car less drivable.
4. Cutting into and modifying the engine bay would greatly decrease the re-sale value of the car, and I would not be able to take the car back to stock.

In the case of the ESS Vt-1 kit all of these assumptions were wrong.

1. The M actually runs cooler by about 10 degrees cooler on average.
2. My average gas mileage over the last 1,000 miles has improved by 1mpg.
3. The car is just as drivable as it had always been. The power band is smooth; the car just gets up to speed a whole lot quicker.
4. No permanent modifications are made to the car to install this kit, so going back to stock is no problem.

Installation:
This was the first mod to the M coupe that I did not install myself. Roman had recommended Good Speed Performance for the installation if I was not going to do it myself. I poured over the installation instructions and the install seem very straight forward. The only step I had a concern with was lifting the engine to install the blower mounting bracket hardware. It turns out there is not enough room to get the bolts for the bracket in without lifting the engine, the M3 guys luck out with this step because they do have the room to do this without lifting the engine.

I was nervous about taking the M in to have someone else work on it, but after 15 minutes of talking to John @ Good Speed I knew the my coupe would be in good hands. Like ESS, Good Speed was all about customer service. I already knew this from the O2 relocation mod. What sealed the deal for me was the fact that John would be doing the installation. John was an enthusiast and a great deal of knowledge working with the Z4 M. John had helped ESS develop the air intake and had installed the first VT-1 kit that went into the IR roadster.

John was cool enough to fit me into his schedule before he went on vacation, so I left the car in his hands. I was worried when received a call a day before the M was supposed to be done, and shocked when I heard what John had to say… “Car’s done.” I was stoked! I left work early and picked up my new monster.

PROS:
1. For the first time, I was working with people who knew more about the M coupe than I did (what a relief).
2. ESS tuning customer service was phenomenal.
3. Good Speed Performance customer service was phenomenal.
4. The VT-1 fit and finish was high quality, a true upgrade to the OEM parts.
5. John’s installation was clean, and without any cosmetic damage to the M (finished a day early too).
6. No more engine codes!
7. Throttle response and power greatly improved all the way through the power band. Much stronger pull off the line and no more fade up at the top of the RPM range.
8. To this point, no negative effect on gas mileage.
9. To this point, no negative effect on engine temps.
10. No permanent modification made to the car during installation.
11. Extra power is very drivable. Car get to speed much quicker, but not spinning the tires everywhere… unless you want to.
12. Better acceleration out of the turns.
13. More fun to drive than any M I have owned so far.
14. The kit is upgradeable. Vt-2 coming soon and I believe there will be a VT-3.

CONS:
1. My brain has failed me twice when I decided it would be a good idea to drag race on public roads.
2. I know have to remove the bumper to service the air filter.

Dynos will be coming soon.

In addition to the Killer intall, John took photos along the way.
Attached Images

Last edited by crfine88; 07-12-2010 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0