ManoSpeed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclem05 View Post
All - my motor has developed a loud tapping sound from the upper front of the motor in the vanos/valve cover area. Noise is audible from idle to about 4K when it blends into all the other engine noise. Most prominent at 1200-2000Rpms. I have removed the belt temporarily and noise persisits; this rules out the pullies, belt tensioner and bearings in the accessories. Car has ~30K miles. Valve shims were checked/passed at ~21K. Camshaft bolts were changed & threadlocked about 26K and valves where checked again.

Likely causes include a noisy valve (lost shim?) or a vanos problem.

My question is: do I go with an unknown dealer with an admittedly good reputation - under warranty -- or do I use an independant BMW shop of known excellent quality and pay out of pocket? The worst-case scenario is probably a full vanos teardown/rebuild w/valve shims costing around a thousand-ish at the indy shop.

I think you should try the dealer first if its under warranty, but given that your vehicle has been modified (not sure what mods you have) I'm pretty certain the dealer will claim you have voided your warranty and you'll have to pay out of pocket.
Appreciate 0