View Single Post
      05-04-2023, 02:44 PM   #3
spambojambo
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 M Coupe

I just did a Navtool installation for reverse/front cams in my Z4M (with nav), and they also offer an optional carplay integration.

I assume the wiring approach is the same -- the OEM Nav system is housed with the DVD player in the rear-center console, and that module actually runs the entire screen. That nav system already runs a video wire up to the nav screen as part of a broader wiring harness.

A special Navtool wiring harness sits between that video connection and the Nav system and splits some wires off to the Navtool unit. It effectively acts as a video passthrough or a video override as needed. In theory it's 'plug and play'; in reality you have to run a 12v power and ground to the navtool unit and remove all the rear-console trim to get the DVD drive out.... and all the trunk trim if you want to mount the unit in the trunk like the bluebus installs do.

For Carplay, you would have to run an audio cable back up to the aux-in under the front dash for audio and use a remote control to control the screen.

I have no idea how carphonics is offering a touchscreen - it would have to be a replacement screen with a touch-screen digitizer, and some hardwire or wireless signal back to their box.
Appreciate 0