Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Price, sound, and power delivery. I haven't had much experience with the roots or twin screw superchargers in person, but based on everything I had read and what I could find on Youtube, I'm not a fan of the mmmeeeeeeeEEEEEEEE sound that seem to come from those types of blowers. The Vortech sounds more like a turbo, except an octave lower. Sound is more important to me than numbers, much like a Ferrari F40 isn't that impressive by today's standards but I'd kill to have one.

I initially liked that the Vortech didn't generate boost down low, so it isn't any harder on the car around town. In a full on race, you're going to be at high rpm where a centrifugal supercharger is more efficient than any other type of supercharger. It's the best of both worlds... or the worst of both worlds because you have "lag" (not really) and supercharger drag. Having seen what an ASA centrifugal blower will do, which has an impeller design that promotes a strong midrange... and is perfectly sized for the application versus the Vortech which is oversized... I've come to realize how much I want more midrange for daily driving. The M54 doesn't like hanging out at 6000 rpm + all the time, though issues with the oil pump nut seem to happen mainly with track cars. Basically, you have to rev the crap out of the car for it to be fast, but if you don't do it all the time then this setup is much easier on the car and almost as fast when really trying to get somewhere.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0