01-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #64
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
what do you guys think of the new VW tiguan? they have redesigned it this year and its does look like it got some more space inside, not sure how it drives though.
I work at a VW dealer, and I've driven them extensively. Currently looking into buying one for my wife.

I was underwhelmed with the powertrain at first. It seems very hesitant to get going from a stop, and even in 'Sport' mode, shifts earlier than I'd like. It's adequate for 1-2 people, but I assumed it'd struggle too much with more than that, so I was about ready to write it off.

Then I ended up taking one last weekend for an extended drive to really rule out or possibly change my mind. It definitely did the latter. I'm guessing the transmission has programming to learn your driving habits, because this model felt considerably stronger than usual. It had 2,000 miles on it already from being a demo, so that is the only assumption I can make.

With 3 adults and 2 children, it had no problem getting up to normal speeds and didn't feel labored in general. Once had highway speeds, it didn't have much punch, but that's to be expected. It consistently got 3-4 mpg higher than it's rated at as well. To top it off, the AWD system handled the snow, light ice, and slush I encountered without breaking a sweat. A full-throttle takeoff from stoplight in partially frozen slush produced almost no wheelspin, only drama-free acceleration.

I will say this, the AWD model has the Driving Mode selector lifted from the GTI and R, and the Sport mode really livens it up, along with giving the steering some much needed added weight and sharpness. I would buy the AWD model just for that.

Aside from that, it's mostly positive. The 2nd row seat is massive. You can easily put a 6'+ passenger behind a 6'+ driver. And then you still have loads of room in the back. Other impressions- Nice ride/handling combo. Very smooth ride and competent handling. Feels like what it is- a larger, higher Golf. When pushed, there does seem to be a slight disconnect between the front and rear axles, but below 8/10's, it's actually quite happy on a curvy back road. Noise levels are low, general refinement is good, and the base stereo was quite decent. There are some cheap materials here and there, but overall fit and finish is good.

It's not as dynamically engaging as my GTI by any means, or even a CX-5 truth be told, but it's a very solid all-around package with lots of room, and a great warranty. Plus, they just got a price drop. The SE is like $1,600 cheaper now, and the SEL is $2,000 less.

I'm now pretty confident I will buy one for my wife.
Appreciate 0