01-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #45
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
Right, well I guess I will stick with AA then, but this is going to be the final stage, I would like to go through the other mods before that so that the re-mapping can be done to my specific configuration.

I am guessing now there is only one final question left, and then I would be able to summarize everything.

If I decide to get only the SS Y-pipe and muffler, is the Y-pipe compatible to the OEM system or is the OEM pipe a straight one?

Can I get the Magnaflow cats and replace mine and put the SS Y-pipe and muffler right after that? Should I buy 1 or 2 units of the Magnaflow cats for the 3.0si?
Like I said before, CONTACT Supersprint, Magnaflow or whoever. Or better yet, get under your car and take a look yourself. What started off as good inquiries about the N52 platform has morphed into product details that any respective manufacturer can confirm for you. Plus if you saw my pictures on the first thread, you'd see the contents of the Bastuck exhaust and how it connects to the oem piping. You would then notice there is NO y-pipe, they are 2 pipes running in parallel.

The link below shows all Supersprint parts for you car:
http://www.supersprintna.com/categor...ategory_id/139

The only "Y-pipe" they offer is the center pipe which is just 1 large pipe as opposed to the oem 2-smaller pipes. That y-portion of their exhaust if what mates to the 2 cats. I mean they pretty much lay it out for you and it's fairly simple:

Headers -> 2 cats -> SS "y-pipe" -> Muffler

If your next question is, will the SS center (y-pipe) connect to OE cats? I'm not sure but I believe so because that other picture I showed (the one with the SS muffler hanging too low)... I believe that guy had the SS center & muffler but kept his stock cats so either they connected plug-n-play or his shop welded an adapter. But if you call or email Supersprint, they can confirm.

Back to the cats, can you replace them with Magnaflows? Yes I see why not, you just need to get under your car and measure the piping diameter so you know what inlet/outlet diameters you need for your exhaust components. Then ask Magnaflow if they offer any generic high flow cats, ie 200-cell.

But let me remind you once again, full disclaimer nobody here including myself can confirm nor tell you this will work, or work flawlessly. We're merely throwing ideas as to what theoretically would work but the only one who can confirm is either the manufacturer or yourself after actually doing it. My best advice though would be make sure to bring all these parts to a competent exhaust shop because chances are they will need to fab something up on the fly.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 01-15-2011 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0