View Single Post
      05-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #18
GyroF-16
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by longress View Post
PFC08 are track pads designed for endurance and I can attest to how good they are in that capacity. They really shine in lap after lap of hard braking and hi temps. That being said they're noisey as hell as a street pad and they do not work well until they get some heat in them.
I'd look for a different compound for autox. You don't need nearly the same braking characteristics. When it comes to brake pads there's always a trade-off somewhere.

A lot of Autox drivers run Hawk pads but again depends on how aggressive you go before they create a crap ton of dust and noise. Stock pads served me well when I ran solo.
Wow- very different from my experience, pasted below from a recent post:
Okay - did the Drivers School last weekend with the PFC 08 pads.
In short, I thought they were great.

I drove them on the street for a few days before the school. Did some bedding right after installing them. I thought the stopping action was great (better than stock) under heavy braking, and it only got better as they got warm- then it was truly impressive. They dust a bit (especially under repeated, heavy braking - like for bedding), but it washes off easily.

On the track, I was really impressed, too. They were so much better and different than OEM brakes that I spent the first session adapting to them. The initial bite is substantial, and the braking effectiveness is markedly more than OEM. So I had to learn to brake much later to enter each turn at my desired speed. I didn't notice much warm-up required to get to full effectivness- they were good from the start.
I think I experienced a bit of fade at the end of my 4th session, after several pretty fast laps. When it happened, there seemed to be reduced response to initial pedal pressure (which surprised me), but by increasing the pressure (quite a bit), they were effective again. I'm wondering whether opening up the front brake duct openings would help for my next track day.

I've driven several hundred miles since the track day with the PFC 08s still on. Even in morning commutes with the temps in the 40s, they were plenty good (at least as good as OEM) from the first application. There is a bit of a "groan" sound (like OEM but more pronounced) when braking, and occasionally squeaking when braking at very low speeds (barely moving).
I'm a little concerned with preserving my rotor life, or I'd just leave the 08s on until the next drivers school in September. The braking (even in cool weather) is great, the noise is minimal, and the dust is no worse than OEM, maybe a little better. As it is, I'll put the Z compound pads on in the next few weeks when I find some time.

I'll update again then to report on the Z compound.

Meanwhile- anybody have a positive change from opening up the brake ducts (removing the riveted-in panels that block half of the opening on the front of the wheel well liners)?

Gyro
Appreciate 1
JJZ4MR30.00