View Single Post
      07-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #26
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
When we go out and drive in our BMW CCA events, we were told in no certain terms are we to put a wheel or a tire off line, and any ass-hattery will subject you to a ban from the instructor corp in the Pacific Region. I ALWAYS drive during our events with 2/10th in reserve.

The difference in tire wear between 8/10th and 10/10th or 11/10th is HUGE. My rears are typically scrubs from club racer friends, shaved with anywhere between 2-5 heat cycles on them, and they still last about 1.5 seasons and ~10 days because I don't push hard.

If I were an attendee and "not embarrass myself" is not a prime directive, I doubt my tires would last nearly as long.

But NT-01s and the old RA-1 compound is very much alike in this regard, they last long despite heat cycles and are good to drive on until they cord. PERFECT for DE use.

I did 3 sessions on fresh Hoosier R-6es and those are pure crack cocaine. Holy unlimited grip batman. But the difference between the first session and the last session was very apparent.
Ah I see, but that sucks that you can not drive your car and improve your skills further. I would honestly get bored of driving at 7-8/10ths after awhile. The challenge of constantly bettering myself is part of what i enjoy the most about tracking. I assure you I do not embarrass myself when I have an occasional spin ( its been awhile but it will happen again), its part of what we do. And I certainly do not partake in ass-hattery lol. The goal of a DE is to teach the students how to control their cars in a safe environment, and better themselves as drivers. The policy of your region seems to stifle the improvement part significantly if they have that attitude towards their instructors. My condolences.
George
Appreciate 0