08-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #26
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
If you do end up considering buying a track car later on, it is much cheaper to buy one that is already prepeared with the exception that you wouldn't want to inherit someone else's failed/poorly done project or a car that has been in a serious incident. I would recommend having a shop dealing with race cars check the chassis for straightness, the quality of the cage design, tubing, and welds and their compliance with regulations, inspect the subframes for cracks, conditions of all suspension and subframe bushings and engine mounts, and of course a leakdown compression test. You can find a fun clean car in the $10k-$25k range depending on the model and the quality of the components on it beyond what I mentioned.
I have decided overnight that your way of thinking was the right way to go. I have passed on that idea on my track thread.

My Z4M is my daily driver. If I add coilovers, the already harsh ride will be worse. So I will do the Camber, the new Max performance street tires (Dunlops again). They should last more than the 9 track days of this year since the camber will help them. Cryogenic Rotors and Hawk HT10 that I will install and remove at the track.

I should be fine for another 1 or 2 years like that. Then, if I still want to invest in this sport/passtime, I will search for a used and in good shape proper race car with trailer. And all the costs associated with that. Or just buy myself a Radical.

Thanks for your wise advice.
Appreciate 0