Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
So if someone is interested in trying coding - where should they start? Is there something they should read or a good place to begin?
There really is no 'good' place to begin, except of course Google.

You really need to read a bunch of threads and download some of the documents you will find. Once you understand the process, the big hurdle is out of the way.
NCSExpert is the software you need to read the module with and write the changes back to the module with. I would HIGHLY advise getting a companion executable called NCSDUMMY. It has been written by a BMW enthusiast... What it does is takes the raw coding from the module that was read and saved by NCSExpert and applies some German to English translations to the file making understanding what most of the software switches do. Then using NCSDummy, change what you want, save the file and then use NCSExpert to write the newly changed file to your module.

The only 'BIG' advice is this:
BEFORE you change and write back the coding files to the module in question, make SURE you make of copy of the virgin code file that is read from the module, so if you screw something up, you can always just write back the original file....
I have a backup copy of all the modules in the car.
Appreciate 0