View Single Post
      03-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #28
iWrench
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

more pics

thanks everyone for all the positive feedback! I have some more planned for the car and am just waiting on some parts to arrive. I took some better quality iPhone pictures using my OWLE bubo. Not the best, but better than what I originally posted. I have a photo shoot lined up for this weekend, weather permitting.

As for the fender liners up front, I basically just drove it around the block a couple of times and let it rub. I then took off the front wheels and marked off where I saw the tires were rubbing using a tire chalk. The areas that were rubbing the most were on the front outside edges near the fender. I used a box cutter and trimmed off the liner in that area. The front bumper was also rubbing around where the bumper meets the fender, so I used an air saw and trimmed the front bumper where the tire was rubbing. I removed the metal screws, drilled new holes at "no contact" locations and used plastic clips to secure the liner to the bumper. Finally, another contact point was the access panels for the headlight bulbs. The tires were rubbing the panels pretty bad in this area, specifically on full lock turns. I removed the panel, and modified it to mount behind the fender liner, rather than on top of it. This minor relocation provided me with the just enough clearance needed to eliminate the rubbing.

I had my front bumper repainted, and it looks brand new. The area from which I cut looks like it came that way from the factory.

Many people had suggested I remove the fender liners all together. Though it would eliminate ALL rubbing issues, I have never liked this idea. I basically did the next best thing, which was modify to make work. Works like a charm.

On a side note, once all the rubbing issues were solved, I had a 4 wheel alignment done. I went to Curry's Auto Service INC. in Alexandria, VA. These guys did a great job and I recommend anyone in the DC/MD/VA area to check them out. They do a lot of service on Porsche, Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz. I told them what alignment specs I wanted and they adjusted the measurements to a TEE. Handles beautifully, drives straight as an arrow.

More pictures:

Appreciate 0