Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I find this intriguing and seems very logical to increase flow with the 50 weight.

Was just wondering about the 15w choice and wondered what the thought was here vs going to the Redline 5w50.
Would the 5w give us a quicker & better flow on the warm up cycle?
...but is it more likely to shear down than the 15?
You are partially correct.

A 5W50 viscosity motor oil would give you better flow in very cold temperatures over a 15W50 viscosity oil. What you have to do is look at the cold starting temperatures in your area. Are they in the teens? If so, a 5W would be better. If they seldom go below 30F, 15W would be ok.

A 5W has it's pour point specified down to -30C. A 15W pour point is specified down to -15C. I think a 15W would be ok down to zero.

Once your engine is at operating temperature, the oil is a 50 viscosity and so it will shear like a 50 (depending on it's manufacturer) so comparing a 5W50 to 15W50 for shear at operating temps is moot.

I always start my engine, put it in neutral and let it idle for a minute or maybe two. I put on my seat belt, adjust the seats, mirror etc.. This ensures the oil is flowing to ALL parts of the engine. I never just start the car and drive off.
I also never go above 4K RPM until the engine oil temperature gauge hits 180'. The colder the engine is, the easier I drive until it starts to generate some oil temperature.

Last edited by Shipkiller; 11-11-2013 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0