Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
The way to solve "understeer" on the MZ4 Coupe is the same as the way to solve understeer on the E46 M3. With more grip up front.

By the way, neither chassis is considered "neutral" straight from the factory. As for the MZ4 Coupe understeering more than the E46 M3, it's a sheer function of the shorter and stiffer chassis. It responds to the extremes of inputs quicker. So if you're used to mashing the binder half way past your braking zone (like how typical journalists drive) and asking the car to turn at the same time? Just like how it oversteers quicker than an E46 M3, it goes past 10 much quicker than the E46 M3 thus overwhelming the front end quicker.

Drive it right, and the MZ4 Coupe is FAR more rewarding to the driver than ANY BMW chassis that came before and after it, IMO. This car absolutely shines in the right hands.

But if I were in your shoes? E46 M3, no question. You can get an '06 E46 M3 with reasonable miles for about $10,000 less than what you'll have to pay for the average '06 MZ4 Coupe. That $10,000 means a set of R-Comps, a set of light weight wheels, and a set of JRZ or MCS coil-overs set-up to your hearts content.

Better bang for the bucks, IMO.
Yeah, I've heard a lot about how the Z4M is very rewarding car to drive, especially when you have got some seat time under your belt. And I certainly like the idea of a small, stiff-chassis, coupe with the s54 engine under the hood.

But you hit the nail right on the head. I am new to modifying and tracking cars and am working on a limited budget. So the e46 m3 seems like the logical choice.

It's really a shame that there is no e46 section to this forum. All the e46 and Z4m drivers seem like the ones who are really into tracking their cars...a lot of owners of the e9x and f8x m3's seem more interested in taking pictures of their cars rather than tracking and won't give you the time of day if you don't own the most recent model. I know I'm generalizing somewhat with that remark, but hopefully you catch my meaning..

I like the DIY and track mentality of this Z4m forum much better so I'll probably stay in touch even if I end up getting a e46 m3. Thanks again for the help!
Appreciate 0