View Single Post
      07-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #26
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
Only a poorly designed engine has weaknesses like those. I understand the S54 has won awards, but they don't give awards for longevity. 2JZ has crank main seal leakage issues, but usually from folks boosting the hell out of it. Otherwise, there are many of those floating around 100k+ miles without ever being opened (I have one of them).
You're comparing apples and oranges. The s54 is a NA engine with an output over 100hp/L. It has one of the highest piston speeds available. Those are specs for a thourougbred race engine, and that comes at a price. Everybody knows that you can build a more reliable engine when using boost if you want a high hp/litre ratio but that is not the point of this engine.
If you want to compare this eninge to anything else, you have to look at ferarri v8's etc (maybe the s2000 gen1 engine) and they have their own issues and are definately not more reliable (even the s2000 engine has it's problems)
I can compare your 2jz to loads of truck engines that do 2million miles with ease and say that a 2jz is an appallingly unreliable eninge.....
As long as nobody can build an engine that uses the same techniques (so NA), roughly the same size and achieves the same specific output (100+hp/L) and is clearly more reliable, the s54 is not poorly designed. Nobody does it better, and certainly not in 2001.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0