11-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Dan, I've also had these same 'minor creases' or dents show up on mine, specifically on the horizontal/flattish part of the front quarter panel that flanks the hood.

I had 2 of them removed that I didnt even notice until I had it taken to C&D bodyshop and they pointed them out before they accepted the car for other minor work I wanted done. Talk about those guys having a trained eye, it took me a minute to see what he was talking about! He specifcally said that BMW made the metal real thin in that area, perhaps for weight savings I dunno. But regardless he said that any small amount of pressure will crease the that metal. This is yet another reason why I stopped going to handwashes and I do it myself now: I gritted my teeth once as I watched those guys rest half of thier body weight by palming that part of the fender as they bent down to wash the front wheels. I can only inamgine what a careless shop mechanic could do to it as well...

With that.... my '03 540 is built like a friggin tank.... a sumo wrestler could sit on the fender and it wouldn't be an issue... I think its the z4's, not BMW in general?