View Single Post
      01-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Interesting points. So you're saying that the higher temperatures are what really caused the lower oil pressure, and decreased volume? You're also saying that increasing the flow rate with an upgraded pump will cause the oil to degrade faster and actually contribute to problems? So to sum things up: keep the oil temperature lower and get better bearings. That addresses the shortcomings.

Am I understanding correctly?
I am saying , that I am 100% sure my oil level was fine , bearing failure was due to an oiling problem at the bearing due to inadequate film strength ,in this case high temperature/rpm related . The higher the temperature the lower an oils CST, and lower its viscosity becomes . Get the viscosity low enough and oil pressure drops , you can compensate for this by increasing the viscosity of the oil at baseline ( BMW original solution going to 10w60) improving the oil holding properties of the bearing , increasing oil pump flow to maintain pressure with lower viscosity at track temps , or reducing the engine temp . And yes increasing the oil flow may actually increase shearing forces on the oil as well as lead to seal failure when the engine is run hard at street temps ( much higher than necessary oil pressures.
Appreciate 0