fullerra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
test test  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
First Update

So its been a couple months of extra shifts at work combined with several evenings cobbling things together in the garage, but it looks like things are shaping up for the spring.

AP Racing BBK is on, Evolve Airbox has arrived, and is awaiting an install along with the Schrick 288/280cams at VAC.

Some initial impressions of the BBK:

As most of you know, and that now includes me... Here in the US there is really one direct supplier of AP Racing kits, which is Essex.

I, however was unaware of this at the time, and purchased the kit from European Auto Source... who in-turn is supplied by Stillen.

A quick search of the inter-webs has me pretty pissed, as I've been swindled, getting some bargain bin items... fortunately first impressions are not always accurate

The front 6 pot kit is the same as the E46M3 kit with matching part numbers on the caliper and the rotor (rotor is the same as the Z4 kit). Both kits use their 5000 series caliper, which from what I can tell by looking at all of the different detailed spec sheets on the AP website is similar across the product range. And as the caliper I received was initially sourced for the E46M3, I was confident that the parts were not yesteryear's leftovers.

The rear caliper P/N was the same as specified in both kits E85/86 and E46.
The rear rotor, however, as far as I can tell, is a Stillen part. (was not happy about this)

Front caliper install was straight-forward, only bit of advice being that you should
1: use the rubber bleed caps to temporarily plug the hard-line while routing the SS lines prior to connecting the system to temporarily stop the hemorrhaging
2: Despite my best effort wearing nitrile gloves... I got enough brake fluid on my hands to temporarily erase my finger-prints (no joke), so if petty theft if your thing, this could be a feasible method to conceal identity

The rear install was a PITA given both "trimming" the dust shield, and the way the bolts are configured to the carrier.

The supplied SS lines IMO are 1-2 inches too short, and thus have to travel a less than ideal route to the caliper (getting longer SS lines with banjo fittings from VAC)

Its been a bit too cold to do any spirited driving, but my initial impressions of the kit, aside from the above, are positive...

I was hoping to run apex 17 inch rims with these, but they(apex) tell me after using the template, that neither caliper CP 5555 or CP 5575 (the 6 pot fronts) will clear the 17 inch barrel (if anyone knows different let me know)
Appreciate 0