10-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #24
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
Been trying different things this past weekend and I noticed angling my foot just doesn't come easy to me. I'm sure it's just something I need to practice but I think I'm going to stick with what I've been doing... that is to keep the foot straight and just roll it slightly to the right to blip throttle. I just have to make a conscious effort to apply brake with the ball of my foot, which will give me enough "foot" to roll onto throttle, as opposed to braking with my foot dead center.

Another thing I found helpful is that it's not necessary to shift/blip simulatenously. On the street I can do the motions fast enough but on the track, on deeper braking zones I still find that [1] brake -> [2] (keep foot on brake) + downshift -> [3] still keeping clutch and brake in -> [4] THEN blip and let clutch out to be smoother. Ideally, those last 3 steps should be fast/seemless but I find delaying the last 2 steps allows for an easier/smoother heel-toe. Yes I know, I'm still a noob on track lol.
Hey Dan,
I had the same issues as you. I have a size 12-13 foot, so using my heel to blip the throttle is impossible since my heel hits the tunnel and it's impossible for me to hit the throttle!
I use the same metheod as you do for heel-toe. With your last two steps where you're having issues, once you blip the throttle (or hit it) get the clutch out FAST! Don't delay or ease it out. Once you hit the throttle and the revs climb just let the clutch fly and it'll be much more seamless.
One of my instructors pointed it out several years ago and it made a huge difference in ease/smoothness.
Personally, I wait to do my downshift until right before I want to get onto the throttle. So I brake HARD to start and then begin to tailor off. Once I'm tailoring off is when I'll start my heel-toe downshift. I'll get it done and then be ready to get back on the throttle right away, no delays. This way I can conscentrate on the hard braking zone and set myself up for the exit. It is more of a step-by-step routine, but it simplifies things and lets me be smoother.
Appreciate 0