View Single Post
      11-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbanick View Post
Sounds like you did your homework, tapping into the ECU doesn't seem too bad and from my brief look into the AIM solo DL you can get more data via the CAN bus then you do via OBDII port. This fits with what you touch on in your last post.

Keep this thread active, even if its just a conversation b/n the two of us!! HAHA

Is this your first experience with data acquisition or have you had experience with other products on the market?
Data acquisition is new to me. Heck, the whole track thing is new to me--have done four weekends over the last two years, all at VIR. I need to find time to do more!

One of the guys that I run with has a TM in his E46 M3, which is what started all the wheels turning for me. I wonder if there's a way to compare TM and AiM files... will have to look into that as this other guy is solid and fast, and I think there'd be a lot to learn from the comparison.

Have you tried any of this stuff before, or know someone who has? Where do you run, and with whom? Might be an opportunity for you to get copies of other drivers' files from your track(s), too. Keep me filled in as you move forward, as well.

I'm looking for some good books on how to practically approach using data acquisition; I need something that's driver focused, as opposed to car set-up. (That'll come later, when the kids are out of college and I can pop for those double-adjustable Motons without feeling guilty!) I have some ideas, but I'd like to learn from those with experience. If anyone has suggestions or resources, please chime in. And, if anyone out there has AiM files, from VIR with a car that's reasonbly comparable to the Z4M, and would like to share them, please let me know.
Appreciate 0