View Single Post
      04-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #35
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I changed my spark plugs in my Z4M 5 days ago. My fingers are still healing. First two DIC's (starting at the front) came out with some tugging twisting and pulling. Got to the 3rd, almost gave up. Pelican Parts has a step by step M guide. They suggested using a flat head screwdriver VERY CAREFULLY on the underside top edges of the DIC. I was remembering how I could not get off my wiper blade arms for recent cowl replacement (just realized that THAT TOOL may have worked). Anyway, I could not get the DIC to pop off. Ended up using some thin Channel Locks. I was very careful to NOT SQUEEZE HARD while pulling straight up. Still had to twist while pulling and although I probably spent 1/2 an hour on it, it popped off. I expected to see a melted/arced/damaged boot, but it was fine. DIC nearest the cabin was also very difficult, (strut tower brace blocks it somewhat) as there is no space for the fingers to get a good hold on these 2 particular areas.

I have NOW done some research on the tool for pulling these, apparently BMW makes a plastic tool and I found metal ones, but they seemed to be made for motorcycles. Do some research and it might be wise to invest in this type of tool, I know I would have had I known how hard these were to pull off. I have 3 healing scabs on my fingers that think so too.

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 04-11-2017 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0