View Single Post
      06-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

UCC short shift kit

I wanted a shorter throw between gears, so I picked up a UCC SSK from www.**********s.com. This mod was extremely labor intensive. I had to remove the mid pipe, the x pipe, and the heat shield from the car. All that work to access the shifter from under the car, and the actual shifter install only took ten minutes.

PROS:
1. Mission accomplished! There was a recognizable shorter through between shifts.
2. As a result of the shorter through, the shifting was smoother, and the CDV delay was not as big a deal.
3. Shifter was height adjustable. This was a plus because I did not what the physical height of the shifter to be shorter. I set the height to the max and it was about an eighth of an inch taller than stock. At the lowest height, the bottom of the shift knob sits below the console. You can dial it in for any preference.
4. Quality was good. This piece is more robust than the stock shifter.
5. Helped reduce the spongy feel of the stock shifter.

CONS:
1. I had to remove most of the exhaust system to install this piece.
2. The installation instructions only include the steps for the shifter, and none of the steps for removal of the exhaust components.
3. A little pricy for what it is.

I am still completely satisfied with this mod, and would definitely do it all over again.
Attached Images

Last edited by crfine88; 07-01-2010 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0