View Single Post
      03-01-2009, 05:18 AM   #8
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
The cars are too different for a direct comparison...and they're both great.
+1000

Z4M is a sports car. From what I've seen of the new Z4 so far, the old Z4 might be the last BMW sports car for a while. Unfortunately the Z4 is cramped, rough riding, and has minmal passenger/cargo space. You can't even carry a broom in a Z4, never mind a bicycle or a set of track tires or more than one passenger. But it's not intended to do those things - it's a sports car designed for one or two people to experience the joy of driving.

E9X M3 is a very well done luxury sport sedan with performance surprisingly close to a real sports car and lots of amenities and conveniences not found on the Z4. Top of that list for me is a back seat, ability to carry four comfortably, large trunk with folding rear seats for large cargo, good factory stereo, reasonably comfortable ride on bad pavement, and a different persona in traffic. When I drive my Z4M people stare like I'm driving a car from Mars or perhaps France, while the M3 gets a different reaction altogether. M3s have been around so long and established so much credibility on the street and the track that most of the nosepickers that you encounter at traffic lights just look the other way and don't even try to mess with you. That makes everyday commuting much more pleasant. When I'm reluctantly dragging my butt to work in the morning I really don't want to be bothered.

To OP - your comparison is not really a fair one because you are comparing a lightweight roadster to a heavy hardtop convertible. Drive a Z4MC and a E92 M3 back to back for a more fair comparison.
Appreciate 0