07-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM101 View Post
I certainly appreciate both replies. A heck of a lot of good info, Efthreeoh. I'll print and keep that on file.

After a few weeks of zero replies and before these 2 recent replies, I decided to do something easy, adjust tire pressure.

When I first installed the new tires and wheels (18") in March of this year I used the recommended pressures found on the driver door jam, 33F, 39R. So...I recently changed the pressure to 32 F & R. I actually like the ride now, so I believe I'll hold off on making any spring or shock changes. I'll measure tread wear periodically to determine uniform wear, or not.

What pressures do you guys run?

By the way, my Cobra is a firm ride as I set up the suspension for some road racing. 900 pound springs on the front, 800 pounds on the rear. Still, it's actually a rather compliant and reasonably comfortable ride. Over the many years I've had a lot of passengers remark that the car rode nicely.

I've never ridden in a Factory Five Cobra, and of the many replicas available the ride can vary greatly depending upon components used and individual car set-up. Some have IRS and quite a few have solid rear axles.

Before I reduced the air pressure in the Z4, the Cobra's ride was better than the Z.

David
Good news then. I pretty much run the factory recommended tire pressures. I'm not sure why the rear is all the way up at 39 PSI. There's not much sidewall on the 18" to begin with and sidewall stiffness is much dependent upon tire brand and type (all-season, summer, etc.). I run high performance all-seasons on my car so they may be less stiff of a sidewall than what you may be running. I bought my car used at 23,000 miles and it looked like the tires were new (1st replacements). They were Pirelli Zero Run-flats, but I still found the ride not harsh and to my liking. My Z4 shares duty with my E90 as a DD, which is 175 miles roundtrip daily. I run pressures to get a balance of handling vs. wear longevity. Just as a reference point, I go though two sets of rear tires for every one set of fronts.

Glad you got it worked out.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-29-2018 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0