View Single Post
      08-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #35
Palantirion
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 MC, M5, 540iT

The E85/6 is the better handling car, even with it's horrible OEM tires. It has better steering feel and will be more nimble. It will also accelerate more quickly in most circumstances due to it's superior power:weight ratio and smaller frontal area. The new Z4 will be quicker in certain circumstances because of its broad torque curve and optional DSG. Stock vs. stock the new Z4 will hold to a skidpad with higher G loading, albeit not by much, due mostly to the tires. I cannot speak to the reliability of the new Z4, but the E85/6 has been very reliable by BMW standards.

It really comes down to how you feel about the ergonomics of each car. Which do you really "want to live in" vs. "how much fun is it to drive"? For me that answer is the E85/6 in both cases. It's also about 1/2 the $$$ for someone shopping right now.

p.s. A few BMW mechanics I've talked to say that the "35" series of engines are going to be basket cases when it comes to carbon buildup in the intakes. If you plan to keep the car, this may be cause for concern.