EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSHFACE View Post
..... I took the panel off .....
I find that things like this are often, not always, but often solved by actually looking at the problem.

We've all heard the "...we have to replace 90% of your car because the x-part doesn't work..." argument from dealerships (especially). It's convenient for the dealer, generates revenue, but it is rarely the only solution.

There are very few problems with moving parts that cannot be fixed by repositioning a component a little and providing some lubrication. Sometimes you can even fabricate a worn plastic part with JB-Weld. Sometimes there's a fix with reprogramming (as in the fix for windows that only come part way up etc.). As a last resort, there's always eBay for cheap used parts. It's going inside the door. It doesn't have to be shiny.

If something works sometimes then it has a high probability of working all the time with a little care and attention. If an owner simply keeps forcing something to work it will, more often than not, give up and break.

Of course, I have learned this the hard way.
$0.02

PS : Ron Stygar's posts are brilliant for this sort of thing. Look him up. Ron_at_unofficialbmw.com

Last edited by EenyBear; 04-20-2012 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0