View Single Post
      07-19-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
CobraR1339
Private
Rep
Drives: M Coupe SG

1st Track Day Impressions ZMC Big Willow

Did a few sessions at Big Willow recently. First time out in this car.

The car is well balanced with no push on this track using the single washer and the turner kit. Camber increase is mild compared to the auto X alignments. Toe is 1/16th in for this track and is very stable here. May want zero at Buttonwillow though.

Managed a series of low 1:38-1:40 runs depending on traffic. This was with the Hankook Z214 C51 compound on the stock rims. Tires worked as well as any Hoosier I have used on other cars, maybe even better. Never got greasy. Best hot temps were 40 psi, start at 34 cold then adjust accordingly after session 1. Tires wore fine. Ride height and the rest of the car is bone stock.

The car has more left in it, but I could not wring it out that day. The car is good enough and you can't use all the power in some spots and could use more in others. At this track it is not a brute, more of a strong momentum car.

The car will run with the best V8 M3's in stock form, even with drive to track Nitto NTO1 tires. It will ever so slightly get pulled on the back straight sometimes ....and the front straight depending how the drivers take turn 9.

Nothing to fear from an M3 or even a GT3 was my impression. The GT3's had good lap times for this day, but the M can hang. Their line was decent but, experience trumps power. The Coupe was able to drive a tighter faster line from turn one to over Monroe ridge ...most of the track, after that the good M3 drivers may have the edge depending on turn 8 entry and turn 9 exit. I know the M3 and GT3 are more powerful, but that does not always mean faster.

To tell you the truth it was the 2nd most awful track day drive in 20 years. The seat is simply not designed for this duty and offers zero lateral support at these G's. I drove an M3 that day that was much better in this respect. also drove the new LS Boss it has the best seats for this purpose with stock belts, but still needs comp belts. The LS Boss is a really fun ride. Feels really big at first, but more nimble than you would think.

Driving at this level with factory seat belts in the ZMC is a total joke. Yeah I tried the lock and seat move , but that does not do jack but pinch your neck. If most of you are really driving like this and serious about your track day you have no idea what you are missing.

I honestly could not do my best work with a heavy grip on the steering wheel just to stay in position through turns 1, 2, brake at 3 and very hard to heel toe while sliding in the seat. What a messy car to drive set up like this.

In a pro set up you don't move at all. You are at one with the seat and strapped in very tight. You can lightly grip the wheel and you feel everything the car is doing through your arse ,fingers and toes. Not easy to do when sliding or using the dead pedal to keep you in position.

The other thing that was questionable was the pedal feel of the brakes. Has Motul with a fresh flush, stock new pads and rotors around, but the pedal just goes down too far for reassurance. It will not fail, but is not confidence inspiring. It modulates fine. This is a super easy braking track, you really don't need other pads here. I just prefer a high hard pedal. Perhaps a different compound will improve the pedal feel, would love some suggestions that change the pedal feel different in this respect. I have some good references on a couple pads, but failed to ask about pedal feel.

The car never got hot enough oil temps to worry about, the water temp..well ignorance is bliss. Overall it performed very well mechanically. Never used any oil.

This Track uses 3,4,5? gears only. 5th you have to decide if the shift is better than holding the rpms to the braking zone at turn 1. You are at redline line in 4th about 200 yards early. A short shift to 5th might produce better results if you were properly belted in. Without it, it had no effect as you make an extra upshift and extra downshift. You use 3rd in turn 3 and hold it till over the ridge, this produced the best results. You are at redline as you crest the ridge, but it did not bump the rev limiter. Get over the ridge, let it settle and shift to 4th.

I had Fun anyway as a day at the track is better than a day at the office, but not sure I want to repeat without comp belts or a race seat.

Will have to remove the rear panels and figure something out. If you have done this already would love it if you have some pics or a time saver tip. Not sure we need a half or full cage to do this. Sure don't need the extra weight.

Thinking I may be able to weld some thread in support for a short bar or thread in eyelets.

A friend says a NASA guy is running some really nice times with a 07 ZMC named Brad, would sure like to connect if you you know him.

It is really a great car that just needs some minor adjustments for the driver to get the most out of it IMO.
Appreciate 0