View Single Post
      09-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #227
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

I don't think there's anything to get away from the notchiness. It's a characteristic of BMW transmissions and seems especially conspicuous in this particular setup. I found that the ZHP shifter provided a much better height at which to grip the knob and allowed for more precise shifts, and the UUC tranny mounts have made the notchiness much more consistent. The trifecta of ZHP knob, CDV delete (or Zeckhausen CDV), and UUC transmission mounts have made very clear improvements in the transmission setup, which is definitely the Achilles heel of this car.

I did very clearly grind 1>2 for the first time this past Saturday at an autocross (before installing the UUC mounts), shifting probably around 6500-7000K RPM. It totally caught me off guard then and I blamed it on the mounts, but thinking about it now it was more than likely sloppy, rushed shifting more than anything else.

When shifting into 2nd, you really need to make sure you're at about the right RPM. You can't let the clutch out too early, and you can't take your foot completely off the gas either, as either is likely going to make your car jerk. You need to feather the throttle some to maintain it at the correct RPM, and sport mode makes the throttle way too touchy to do so easily.
Appreciate 0