View Single Post
      04-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #24
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
O-cha may have a better explanation that I do because he has a little more track time than me.

Keeping your upper body planted in the seat does several things.

You expend a lot of energy just trying to keep yourself in the seat. This drains you faster and you loose your mental edge faster. The mental keeps the physical going. If you start to lose your mental edge on the track, you are done.... This is one of the reasons real race car drivers are such athletes. After a 45min to an hour on the track, I am puddy and need that time between events to recover.

You also are holding yourself in place with your arms/hands attached to the wheel so you also lose some of your 'touch'. You grip the wheel harder so steering inputs gets rougher and you are not controlling the car as well. You also start steering with your arms and not using your back muscles in conjunction with your arms. You also have a tendency to throw you elbows out a little magnifying the effect. Hands, wrists, arms, shoulders, back muscles all work together in harmony.

When you loose touch with the seat, you also losing touch with the car. Now you can't feel as well just what it is doing. Muted inputs.
Yea, that makes sense...I completely re-read that part wrong.

I read it as "Preventing your torso from going forward (As in using the seat-belt to prevent your body from going forward) is the worst part."

Not as in using your arms to prevent your body from going forward.

Thanks though for the clarification anyways
Appreciate 0