View Single Post
      08-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #54
chanzs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
You can probably cut out 100-200 lbs with mods or decontenting. Things that could cut weight: replace stock seats, TI exhaust (is there one avaiable?), lightweight battery, A/C delete, plastic front fenders (like the E9x M3--but I doubt such a thing exists), JC04's extreme surgery option, lighter wheels, remove stereo and speakers. But the time you're done you'll have pretty much a track-only car that's not going to be much fun for anything else, so that leaves only a few small (and somewhat costly options) unless you want to go all hard-core on the car (which is going to be more costly).
Very good points. Weight is the enemy but to gain substantial improvements in car balance would possibly mean significant compromises to creature comforts and build quality. I also drive a feather weight Lotus Elise, fantastic handling, almost no body roll/squat/dive when compared to the Z4M.

That being said, I think the Z4M strikes a perfect balance between outright performance and day-to-day drivability. The Lotus is light but that fibre composite body leaves much to be desired, not to mention non-existent NVH and poor build quality (for its price range).

Yes, a 200lbs reduction would be very nice and bring the Z4M closer to Boxster/Cayman levels but the Z4M is not a fat car by any means (compared to current offerings). Think the main culprit here is the iron block engine which is a gem and well worth the compromise. I could be wrong but I think the 3.0si weighs approx 100lbs less?
1996 Repsol Honda NSR250SP
Appreciate 0