05-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #26
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
The shop that did your upgrade is now telling you you need a new LSD.... If there's excessive play it's more than likely from them setting up the diff improperly in the first place.

"too much play" Is also a really common MIS-diagnosis by inexperienced people as well, they think there should be no play in the diff, when in reality there is and should be a considerable amount.

FYI for you I have my money on a CV joint.
I will have a different shop (I call it "my" shop ) look into the CV joint and see what they think about the whole ordeal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
I'm not sure if there's a spec for the backlash of the gears in the diff, but if you suspect that your shop is giving you BS you could ask them for their measurements.
I appreciate the feedback guys, but as of right now, I seriously doubt this shop is feeding me BS. Because they are a very reputable shop, and ever since I was recommended there my very first time, they've quoted me extremely fair prices for everything that I've wanted to have them do for my car. I even looked closely at specific OEM parts that they used, and the prices they charged me were equal to that of Tischer, etc.
They are quite knowledgeable and I was shown the amount of play and the noise that the diff was making. They also showed me an opened-up E46 M3 diff, and showed me the exact part I needed. Furthermore, I recall them saying something about doing the rebuild free of charge, since they sympathized with my situation. When I asked them if they could source an LSD unit for me, they stated that the sources available to them are the exact same sources that I have access to (primarily the forums, etc.)
All of this leads me to think that they are genuinely trying to help me out, and not there to just make a quick buck. They've gone out of their way to serve me in the past, which is why I even bother making the 45-minute one-way trip up to their shop in the first place

But I'll keep ya'll updated if anything else comes up.
Appreciate 0