11-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
losingmylycosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Head Unit replacement, sub upgrade

Hi,

I love great sound quality, and occasionally hard hitting too. The hard hitting part is missing from my Z4MC (not like that is news to anyone). I like alt-rock, Raconteurs, White Stripes, Band of Skulls, Black Pistol Fire, Black Keys, Alt-Country, The Dead Weather, Some Skrillex, LCD Soundsystem / Daft Punk, Some 80's hair bands, Guns N Roses, Poison, Def Lepard, Jazz/Blues, Regina Spektor, Adele, Lumineers. Not much rap, though.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on some audio upgrades for my Z4MC, and am looking at the Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU to replace the stock business CD (Carver 10 speaker system that came with Premium package). Wanted to go to usb music storage or mem card storage, and the DEH-80PRS gets great reviews. I'm having a local audio shop do the install. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...vers/DEH-80PRS

Feel free to jump in with ideas or answers, I've done a bunch of searching, but answers don't always jump out.

This all started with sub response sounding like crap, as in no response from the 6.5s in the back. Maybe it's a blown amp channel, I fade to the rear and only hear the mids sitting above the subs. I'm kinda wondering if I should take it to the dealer to look at, but think they wouldn't see the issue I do (your radio works, what more do you want?). It's still under CPO warranty, so that would be $50 to take a look. I just don't think the dealer would have the audio expertise, am I wrong? Take a chance and maybe they fix the possible amp issue? Would be nice to sell on ebay, or keep for later if vehicle is sold.

Looking at several stages
1.Head unit
2.Sub improvement (with a 10")
3.Sound deadening
Optional - Replace fronts (if stocks sound crappy on new HU)
Optional - Continue improving sub response (put in new 6.5s that Elerner did) JL 6W6V3's

My thoughts were to keep the stock fronts for now (tweeters, mids, kick panels) and run them from the HU amp. The HU has a lot of crossover, equalization control. I thought it would be straightforward for the HU to run the fronts, but a friend pointed out all the things the stock amp does (crossover, equalization, routing signal from the HU to the speakers). Since a new HU wouldnt play well with the stock amp, the stock amp would need bypassed. Would it be difficult to patch in from the HU to the stock amp output wiring? Or would the audio guy need to completely wire up the stock speakers to the new HU? Think they'll be any major issues integrating the HU into the system?

For the 10" sub (JL Audio 10W1v2-4) and enclosure, I am buying Bill's sub box. http://www.billswebspace.com/MZ4Subw...stallation.htm He did a great job, it was available, and why reinvent the wheel. I was thinking of getting an Alpine PDX-F4 (4channel x 100W) to power it. 2 channels bridged for 200W to the sub, and 2 channels free for the 6.5s, if needed down the road. http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/pdx-f4/

Any thoughts, ideas? Stage priority out of whack? I'll keep you posted as the project goes along.
Appreciate 0