View Single Post
      09-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

Why did BMW leave a hole here?

Thought I would be smart and put my garage door opener in the little compartment behind my right elbow. While driving this morning, and hitting the brakes, I heard the opener hit the front door of the compartment. No big deal I thought, it's just gently rattling around in there and I'll velcro it somewhere later this morning. Get home, open the little door and I see the opener has dropped INTO a HOLE between the two hinges at the front/bottom of this area. I try to stick my big fingers in there and grab it, and of course I wind up pushing it further down (this hole is like a freaking black hole! ).

Now it's so far down there that I can barely even feel it. It feels like it slipped a bit towards the driver's side. I removed the two screws that hold that lower leather panel in place (that covers the SOS button) and tried to reach up in there to push it back up - no luck, can't feel it. Tried putting some gum on a flex stick but no luck there either.

Why BMW put a hole this big in a compartment that can only hold little things, I'll never understand. Regardless, does anyone have any ideas on how to get this thing out? I tried to point out where the hole is on the attached pic. Sorry for the horrible quality, not very good at editing photos on our desktop (should have used my laptop).

On a somewhat related note, I was playing with the three buttons on the lower left side of my rearview mirror (to the left of the big red ambulance bulb ), and it looks like THESE are the garage door buttons?! I don't recall reading about those in my manual, will have to check again. Hopefully that's what they are. If so, maybe I can just kiss that garage door opener goodbye without crying over it. Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0