View Single Post
      11-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #48
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski View Post
Segmenting the track is a bit of an art. Most of the time, matching the track map will not help you nearly as much as creating "corner groups." I've never driven VIR, but I'm guessing you want Turns 1 and 2 grouped together becuase they are linked. Turns 4 and 5 would definetely be together, maybe with 6. Turns 7 and 8 would be one segment. And on and on.

The big thing you want is any corner that is affected by another corner should be put together as a segment. Also, straights should be with the preceding corner as the corner exit will affect your straight speed (and resulting time).

By doing building track maps that way, you'll get good data out of your segment analysis, including theoretical and best rolling laps.
Good that you bring this up, as I've been confused by the "segment" thing. I understand what you're saying about grouping a corner and straight, or two corners; but I'm confused about whether AiM lets you do that as well as separately identifying each corner.

When you push the track's start/finish gps coordinates to the Solo via GPS Manager, you can also set segments. I've done that for VIR, yet I can't seem to get the segment break-outs to show up in RaceStudio. My Split Report view uses the track map break-out (i.e., individual corner designations from the track map) rather than the segment splits that I set in GPS Manager.

It would be nice to have the segment info for the reasons you describe, but also have the more granular break down of individual corners. That is, see the corners on the speed-distance plot, but use the broader segments on the Split Report view. Can we do both??? If not, what's the purpose of the segment feature in GPS Manager? Perhaps that only drives the "live" time delta feature on the Solo...

Help!

Last edited by MFGJR; 11-26-2011 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0