View Single Post
      01-17-2016, 11:38 PM   #21
chhimp
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw z4 3.0i 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Why jack up the engine so high when you can just have it rest on the subframe and then the vanos will clear too?

With jacking up the engine really high you risc damaging the gear selector mechanism, insulation and maybe even heatshielding&exhaust.

Indeed you do need a set of anglenose pliers (most guides will tell you), but imho that should be a standard piece in a toolcollection.
My policy sometimes is: buy lots of cheap tools (or reasonably cheaP), so you have them. For ones that don't do the job really well or break/wear, you can alway's buy a top quality one. Or if you have money enough, buy everything top quality. But it's always better to have a specific tool in low quality than not having it at all
The height was about the same distance it would to clear in removing the engine mounts. I was like why should I lower it back down, I'm already up here. Made it easier to unbolt and take out. Drove about 340 miles now and no problem yet. I was very cautious and observant when the engine was raised. This was for the 3.0i engine and SMG transmission, so no problem here. They made three types of transmission and two types of engine, so the removal procedure will vary.

I will totally need angled nose pliers in the future. I spent 1 hour and 3 cuts on my fingers with regular pliers until I decided to use my bench vise and cut the pliers with my dremel saw w/ metal cutting blade.

Thanks for your pictures and write up, it was very helpful with this vanos repair/maintenance.
Appreciate 0