View Single Post
      05-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #25
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2000 View Post
For the Apex guys or anyone else with similar experience. I've read many of the threads here and would like feedback on a wheel/tire combo for my new-to-me '03 non-M Z4 3.0 Sport pkg.

I would like to go 255/40R17 square for the performance and tire rotation advantages. I am looking at Apex arc-8 17x9et30 on all four corners (I really want the "concave" style if I can make it work). I realize this is quite an aggressive fit on the front. Assuming NO plan for camber plates, strut pins removed and camber maxed (approx -1.5* ?), can I run this wheel up front with a minor fender roll? If no, how about if I shim to -2.0* ? Will -2.0* in front kill my tire wear for a daily/spirited driver? Lets assume tire will be a hefty width summer like RS3 or Direzza, but NOT as extreme as an r-compound.

Thanks in advance. I know the et42 will fit easily up front, but they aren't concave. Love this forum!
In order to fit the 17x9" ET30 with a 255/40/17 sized extreme summer tire (Hankook RS3 or Dunlop Direzza DZII) would require at least -2.5 degrees of camber in the front, which would require camber plates. This would not be at all possible with -1.5 degrees of camber and a minor front fender roll. The other options for you to get this to fit would be possibly using the 245/40/17 sized tire instead, which is more narrow, but would still require around -2 degrees of camber. While you can potentially reach this amount of negative camber by pulling the strut pins, maximizing your negative camber, and shimming the fronts, we know that shimmed struts bring things closer to the strut, which we don't full understand how that will effect fitment. Because of this, we still recommend camber plates to achieve the amount of camber, if you are okay with using the narrower 245/40/17 sized tire with it.

We understand that you want the concave wheel on your car, but without camber plates, it would be very difficult to achieve on the front. The amount of negative camber will indeed wear the inside of the tire more than the outside, but many customers that have -2 degrees or more camber would often swap their driver side and passenger side tires after a couple of months to have the tires wear more evenly.

The rear wheels and tires would be flush with the fender with these tires. The bead protector and part of the sidewall stuck out of the fender, but the actual corner of the tread was still within the fender on this setup when we tested it with a Nitto NT05 tire. This is aggressive already, and could require a fender roll to eliminate all rubbing. We'd say there would be a slight chance that this setup would have no rubbing without a fender roll, but it would be dependent on the ride height of the car and which particular tire you choose. A fender roll or added negative camber in the rear is recommended to make sure that you can avoid fender rubbing.

Here are some photos of the rear fitment: