View Single Post
      11-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #16
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Old thread revival...

So I just switched over from Castrol to the new Pennzoil 10w60. I thought it would be a good time to test some theories on how much oil my oil extractor (Griots Garage model) was really leaving behind.

I extracted as much as possible with the car on level ground. Then I jacked up the front end and put it on ramps to see how much more I could get out. None, that's how much. Then I emptied the remainder by removing the oilpan drain plug. 370 ML drained out. There were no other surprises such as metal filings around the drain plug or evident in the oil (I slowly emptied it from my catch pan into the oil containers and didn't see any sediment, but I also didn't feel around though).

I know others have posted above that they were getting all 5.5l. Perhaps when they insert the extractor once it hits the bottom of the oil pan they continue to push so it bends and then moves on to an edge of the pan. The last thing I want to happen is a piece of that plastic to break off in the dipstick tube so I don't do that.

So there it is. 370ml or 6.7%. I don't track my car so I may continue to just use the extractor going forward. It's just so damn convenient since we don't have to get under the car to change the filter. But I was surprised at the amount that it left in the pan.

Your mileage may vary. Don't shoot me I'm only the piano player.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0