View Single Post
      02-26-2009, 01:31 AM   #53
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Well I'm happy to report the issues reported in other threads have somewhat been resolved. I was peaking at 5.5 early and holding that to redline. I overhauled the entire system today, changed my bracket (I had the correct one waiting for some time but was waiting for clamps) and changed every single crappy ass charge pipe clamp that came with the kit. I double clamped every connection that had the room for it (blowing a pipe off on track is NOT a fun experience neither the immediate aftermath or having to fix it quickly on the ground).

I used breeze aero seal clamps. These clamps are great and I love them, they are the kind of clamps that will crush an aluminum pipe if allowed to. They could easily crush your finger strong. My belt is still squeaking like a SOAB though, but I did not replace it (napa was closed) hopefully a new belt will fix that.

A new issue has reared it's head. I Had to take the pulley off in the process and noticed a whole like of oil and grease in it, I also noticed after closely inspecting it after everything was back on the car that there is considerable run-out (IE it's wobbly). Hopefully this is not an issue with the blower.

But the good news is now I am peaking at 6.5 (still not the BEST news) and the butt dyno says its a tad faster (not by much though :/). It makes a little different noise at WOT theres more of a whine or whistle now.

I'll get it on the dyno soon hopefully and see what it does. I'm guess on a dynojet the boost will be higher then loaded road boost.

In the process of things today I swapped back my stock section 1 in preparation for a dyno. Before this though I took a pair of nuts and tack welded them to the two bolt holes at the top of the flanges.

Since most have not taken out this section of exhaust, BMW has oh so kindly put our bolt holes at the tippy top (vs the e46 where all three are accessible) And blocked pretty much any access to them with the dumb cats.

Tacking a pair of nuts up there means not having to drop the entire exhaust to replace the first section or use a PERFECTLY sized wrench to hold the nut captive (remember BMW has some sort of aversion to using zinc coated hardware so it all rusts horribly.)

Last edited by O-cha; 02-26-2009 at 02:37 AM..
Appreciate 0