10-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #129
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matched88 View Post
Oh I wasn't sure if ET45 was acceptable as is or was going to need spacers or not, that is why I said.
Appreciate your advice, Been trying to figure all this out over the passed 2 weeks and finally decided to ask, hah. hopefully I will be able to get them soon and post up some pics.
If both front and rear are the same offset, but rear is 1" wider, you wouldn't need spacers in the rear "to adjust". It'll already sit wider, and spacers would only further push out the track. You might use spacers in the front if the tire were so wide and wheel offset too high (high offset means it sits closer INwards), that the tire was rubbing against your suspension. Then you'd put a small spacer up front to push the wheel out and clear your suspension. But a 8.5/9.5 combo both et45 should be fine.

I'll just leave one final thought, are you going for looks or performance? If it's just looks, I say ditch the 8.5" front because whether you run a 235 or 255, you may risk rubbing. The 235 might be too tall and the 255 might be too wide. The best tire width would honestly be a 245 but a 245/30 will actually sit lower than stock. Also a 225 on a 8.5" will be a little stretched so 225 on 8" is perfect and it won't rub. If you want the flush look, just pick a lower offset, ie mid to hi 30's. On the rears, you have more room to play but I'd go 9" wide with a 255. Again for the flush look, go with offset of mid to high 30s. Sure you can go 9.5" but with all that extra traction in the rear (as compared what you'd be running up front) it might just induce more understeer.

If you're going for performance, wider up front and running square makes sense. But that's where it gets really tricky of knowing what the right offset, wheel width and tires are. And the only way to get it right AND get the performance benefit out of it is to add negative camber (either through lowering the car or getting camber plates). And if you're not ready for that kind of investment/headache, I say stay away from the square or wide up front.

My 2 cents... I'm sure other wheel/tire experts can chime in or correct anything above.