Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
It FEELS like it adds a few horses, but I'm not sure if it actually does. It could be my right foot got heavier with the addictive sound. I don't think it loses horsepower. The heat soak hype was started when a competitor ran an aFe-equipped car repeatedly on a (stationary) dyno, hood closed, with no cool down runs, until IAT was around 140 degrees; in the real world the car is moving through the air, and a 70 mph fan can't displace the amount of air necessary to accurately simulate the car's movement. Thus, the engine air got hot and there was no cool outside air replacing it.

That test, and the fact that you can look at the stock box and see that it's already a very good design, got the anti-CAI crowd going. "Oh it loses hp?? Count me out!" I feel like I've made 5 or 6 posts defending aFe, and it's because I've found this mod to be immensely enjoyable, and it bothers me that there's so much misinformation out there keeping people from purchasing a very satisfying product. I have yet to see anyone dyno the product and lose power, other than that test I talked about above. I've seen several dynos about the intakes gaining a couple horsepower. Usually arguments evolve into something along the lines of the stock box having a ram effect and the CAI-type intakes "pulling in hot engine air," or uncertainty about the ECU being able to adapt to the increased airflow. All theoretical, very few with actual experience.

As far as sound goes, if the S54 was a guitar amp, replacing the stock intake with an aFe was like removing a blanket from in front of the speaker. It exaggerates all of the unique subtleties of the engine. Night and day difference.

nice post man, got me pumped to get an intake lmao, any chance you did a dyno yourself?