Thread: z4mc's weight
View Single Post
      08-26-2010, 03:50 AM   #21
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

There are couple areas that BMW could do a lot better with Z4 M. Lighter exhaust, lighter battery, lighter seats would easly cut 100-150lb of fat. 1000$ RPI exhaust is significantly lighter than stock system. 900$ Recaro seats are ~40lbs/each lighter than stocks.. The Coupe could have used a carbon-fiber roof.. But unfortunatelly BMW didn't want to spend too much time developing this car nor they spend too much time on details.

It is not all that fair to compare Z4M to S2000. Bigger engine weighs more, but not only that, it also requires more oil, bigger radiator etc.. Also more power means you can have bigger wheels & tires. And again, you need more breaking power due to more power. All this add up. Also a metal roof and huge glass on the hatch adds up significant weight too.. I don't know how S2000 and Z4 have similar dimensions though. S2000's cabin is a lot smaller than Z4's.

Although, comparing Cayman or 911 to Z4 M is fair. Porsche is doing a magnificent job. With every new generation they find a way to keep the weight same as the older gen. BMW on the other hand adds up several hundred pounds with every new generation. Good for BMW, bad for people like us, but the BMW we knew is gone. They're now making big, luxury cars and trucks. They're expanding their model range with bigger and heavier "GT" cars and uber-fast SUVs. But there is no true sports car coming from them... So long BMW.

My next car, if I ever decide to move on from my Z4 MC, would be a porsche.. Sad, but BMW does not have a single car in their current line up that I'd consider buying.
Appreciate 0